Vazhakkai (Raw Banana) Bajji / Plantain Fritters. Making fritters has never been this easy. Watch as Geeta prepares a delicious Squared Vazhakkai Bajji or Valaikai Bajji preparation made out of delicious plantains. From whatever vegetables it is made from, i love it to the core.
Mix all the ingredients given for batter to a smooth paste. it should n't be too thick or thin. Vazhakkai Bajji (Raw Banana / Plantain) Bajji is a very crispy and spicy South Indian Snack. Plantain pieces are coated with gram flour, spices & deep fried. You can have Vazhakkai (Raw Banana) Bajji / Plantain Fritters using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vazhakkai (Raw Banana) Bajji / Plantain Fritters
- Prepare of large raw banana,thinly sliced.
- Prepare of besan (gram flour).
- You need of rice flour.
- You need of ajwain (carom seeds).
- It’s of red chilli powder.
- It’s of ginger garlic paste.
- It’s of baking soda.
- Prepare of water or add as required to make a slightly thick battter.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of oil for deep frying.
Raw Banana Bajji (Vazhakkai) is one of the very popular Bajji. It's a very crispy and spicy snack, perfect for tea time ! I use a combination of gram flour and rice flour to make the batter for the bajji. The rice flour helps the bajjis/fritters stay crispy.
Vazhakkai (Raw Banana) Bajji / Plantain Fritters step by step
- First peel, rinse and slice the plantain into thin slices 0.2 cm thickness. Keep soaked in water to prevents discoloring..
- In a mixing bowl take ¾ cup besan, ¼ cup rice flour, ½ tsp ajwain (carom seeds), ¼ tsp red chilli powder,ginger-garlic paste, baking soda and salt as per taste. Add water and mix very well to a smooth batter without lumps. The batter should be slightly thick, so add water accordingly..
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadhai or pan. Dip one banana slice in the batter and coat it very well, then gently slid the batter coated slices in hot oil. fry at medium flame..
- When one side is lightly golden, then gently turn over the bajjis and continue to fry. Turn over a couple of times and fry till they are golden and crisp. Drain them on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil. And fry the remaining banana slices in a similar way..
- Serve these bajji hot with red chutney or coconut chutney along with cup of hot coffee/tea..
I also add a pinch of baking soda to the batter to make the bajjis a little fluffy. Always use green plantains/raw banana to. Serve Vazhakkai Bajji with coconut chutney, Kara chutney or alternatively tomato ketchup. Vazhakkai Bajji Recipe also called in different name such as banana bajji, raw banana bajji, Kaya Bajji recipe or Plantain Fritters. Bajji is one of popular street food in south India, particularly in Tamilnadu.