Low fat healthy clam chowder. Although clam chowder is not a low-calorie food, it does provide you with some essential nutrients, and you can still include it – in moderation – in a healthy meal plan. We additionally have recipe concepts for low calorie dishes below. Cutting out saturated fats can reduce your cholesterol, so we have actually found the best low fat recipes to assist.
Low fat healthy clam chowder – YouTube. In our healthier version we lightened the filling with nonfat condensed milk blended with tangy low-fat plain yogurt and continued the makeover with a topping of lovely golden meringue rather than whipped. This thick and creamy chowder is lighter and healthier than most traditional clam chowders. You can have Low fat healthy clam chowder using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Low fat healthy clam chowder
- You need 1 can of chopped clams (approximately 6.5 ounces).
- You need 1 of parsnip.
- You need 1 of medium potato or 2 small potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of small carrot.
- You need 1/2 stalk of celery.
- You need 1/2 of bell pepper.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
- You need 1/2 of a bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- It’s 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- It’s .25 cups of unsweetened soy milk or nonfat milk.
- It’s of Fresh curly parsley to garnish.
- You need of Sourdough bread.
A great lower calorie, lower fat, and lower sodium Clam Chowder recipe that is still just as delicious as the original. Grab the recipe on my blog. Categories: Chowder Clam Recipes Shellfish Recipes Low-Fat Gluten Free. A few smart swaps make it possible.
Low fat healthy clam chowder step by step
- Wash, peel and chop the parsnip. Place in a pot with water and boil until soft..
- Purée the parsnips with an immersion blender and pour back into the pan..
- Wash, peel and chop the carrots. Wash and chop the potatoes. Add to the pan along with salt, herbs and spices. Open and drain liquid from clams into a bowl. Add to pot..
- Turn stove on medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are a little soft. Stir frequently..
- When the carrots and potatoes are about half cooked, add chopped celery and peppers. Cook until all veggies are soft. Remove pan from heat and add soy milk and clams..
- Remove bay leaf. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, serve with crusty sourdough bread and enjoy..
Here is how you achieve it. Overly rich and sludgy canned clam chowder furthers the perception that all clam chowder is unhealthy. As a result, food bloggers and even chefs sometimes create so-called "healthy clam chowder" recipes that substitute low-fat milk for whole milk or cream. A few smart swaps make it possible. Although the classic New England clam chowder might be high in saturated fat and sodium (two unfriendly nutrients for the heart), you can totally make a lightened-up clam Replace whole milk and cream with low-fat dairy options.