Bulgur and Lentil "Majadra" – Super Healthy & Vegan!. Rinse lentils in sieve until water runs clear. Drain and place in medium pot. I created this recipe for a bulgur majadra for a friend whose kids disliked brown rice.
The water in which it will cook, we subsequently need, so pour enough don't be greedy. Bring lentils to a boil and cook for twenty minutes. Mujaddara (Arabic: مجدرة mujadarah, with alternative spellings in English majadra, mejadra, moujadara, mudardara, and megadarra) consists of cooked lentils together with groats, generally rice, and garnished with sautéed onions. You can have Bulgur and Lentil "Majadra" – Super Healthy & Vegan! using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bulgur and Lentil "Majadra" – Super Healthy & Vegan!
- You need of black lentils.
- It’s of green lentils.
- It’s of water.
- You need of onions.
- It’s of olive oil.
- Prepare of bulgur.
- It’s of Hawaij (Yemenite spice) – can be substituted with cumin.
- It’s of salt and pepper.
In Israel, people love the combination of lentils and rice topped with fried onions. Recipes vary from cook to cook, but all cooks know I guess the baby wanted majadra." Some cooks keep it simple and some enjoy making it elaborate with spices and herbs. To save time, people cook the rice and lentils. Majadra also spelled Mujadara, is a filling, nutritious and flavor-packed Middle Eastern rice and lentil dish.
Bulgur and Lentil "Majadra" – Super Healthy & Vegan! instructions
- Rinse lentils in sieve until water runs clear. Drain and place in medium pot. Add 3 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low, cover almost completely and simmer for 35 minutes..
- While lentils are cooking, coarsely chop onions. Heat very large frying or saute pan, add olive oil and then the onions. Fry until onions are fragrant and lightly caramelized. Set aside, in pan. Rinse bulgur in sieve and set aside..
- After lentils have cooked 35 minutes, stir in bulgur. If no liquid remains in the pot, you may add some. Usually 1/2 cup will be enough. Keep simmering for another 10 minutes..
- Uncover pot and let the lentils and bulgur let off steam. Mix lentils with onions in whichever pot is big enough. Season with Hawaij, salt and pepper..
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen in airtight container. You may use 1 cup of only black or green lentils, but not red or yellow..
Ethiopians cook a similar dish, Indians have the khichdi, a rice and lentil dish, and even the Greeks This new to me brand of sea salt is super potent, so I use it sparsely. Traditionally, majadra is served with yoghurt. To this, add a cooked vegetable or a salad, and you have a complete protein and an inexpensive, balanced Majadra Recipe. Majadra is basically a combination of lentils and rice. Sounds simple, but if it isn't done right children will somehow know the difference.