Dudh Shukto- (A healthy & Nutritious Veg Curry Soup). Shukto is a traditional Bengali recipe with minimum spices, a classic melange of vegetables. It derives its distinct flavor from 'bitter gourd'. So, it is called DUDH SHUKTO.
Bengali must have mixed vegetable curry is here finally -shukto. the comfort of this recipe. This time around I was determined to make shukto and handed over the regular, South Indian dominated list to my husband to tackle and set out to find the ones I wanted to hold on precious, like radhuni (wild. Shukto is an answer to all these questions. You can cook Dudh Shukto- (A healthy & Nutritious Veg Curry Soup) using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Dudh Shukto- (A healthy & Nutritious Veg Curry Soup)
- It’s of Sweet potato (150 gms).
- It’s of Brinjal / Egg plant.
- It’s of Karela.
- You need of small Papaya (200 gms).
- You need of Green Raw Banana.
- You need of Potato (200-250 gms).
- You need of Ginger.
- You need of Green chillies.
- Prepare of Radhuni Powder (or grind along with ginger & chilli).
- You need of Few Urad Dal Bori/Bori/ Wadia/ Wadiya/ Wadi.
- You need of Mustard oil to fry the vegetables.
- It’s of Ghee.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Generous pinch of Sugar.
- You need of Turmeric a pinch-to coat the brinjal along with little salt only.
- It’s of Whole spices (4 spices).
- Prepare of Whole Radhuni.
- Prepare of Methi seeds.
- It’s of Bay leaves.
- Prepare of Whole Red dry Chilli (optional).
- Prepare of Paanch Phoran dry roasted and grinded into powder (see recipe).
- You need of milk with 1/2 tbsp Maida.
- It’s of Water.
- Prepare of Other veggies you can add, if you have.
- It’s of Flat Broad Beans.
- It’s of Radish.
- Prepare of Long Beans.
This typical Bong favorite is a concoction of all seasonal vegetables. A Bengali lunch is never complete Shukto can loosely be compared to the Western culture of having soup before starting the main course. Though, Shukto is totally different from soup. Shukto is a famous Bengali mix vegetable delicacy served with rice which is said to have a Portuguese influence.
Dudh Shukto- (A healthy & Nutritious Veg Curry Soup) step by step
- Prepare the vegetables as seen in picture – all has to be cut lengthwise. Soak the vegetables in water otherwise it will become black due to oxidation except the Karela, brinjal and drumstick. Apply turmeric powder and salt to the brinjal (or you can skip this).
- Start by frying the vegetables (except drumsticks) first with any of the vegetables like potato, sweet potato, papaya and banana. If you like you can skip frying these vegetables but you must fry the brinjal and Karela. Do the Karela at last, in the remaining oil,fry the Bodi / bori till it is brown..
- Grind the ginger, chilli and Radhuni together or you can powder the Radhuni seperately and grind the ginger and chilli together. Dry roast the Paanch Phoran and grind it..
- Keep the milk and maida ready..
- Take a tablespoon of oil (use the same oil in which vegetables were fried) and heat it. Add the 4 whole spices, once it crackles add the ginger and chilli paste and then add the vegetables which takes time to cook like the potato, sweet potato, banana first and then the papaya and the drumsticks..
- After adding drumsticks, add the Powdered Radhuni and salt too, mix well and add water and let the vegetables cook. When the vegetable is almost cooked, add the brinjal and Karela and cook till all vegetables are cooked well. Then add the milk mixed with maida and mix well. Adjust the consistency, if required add more hot water. Cook for about 5 minutes or so..
- Then atlast add the sugar, dry roasted Paanch Phoran powder, ghee and the fried Bodi and mix well with gentle hands otherwise the vegetables might get smashed. Cook for few minutes and your Sukhto is ready to be served with hot steamed rice. The more it cools it thickens up so have it hot. Enjoy !.
Its also said that shukto which has bitter gourd has ayurvedic properties as well. This particular recipe is of my mother which has an added twist that is the addition of Milk in it. THANK YOU FRIENDS FOR SHOWING YOUR LOVE, IT ENCOURAGE ME A LOT TO COME INFONT OF YOU EVERYDAY. Shukto is one such Bengali delicacy that, I think, is transformed in their pujo-bari renditions. In fact, the recipe is such that they are best suited for What's even more interesting is that shukto has been around for at least two centuries.